Smoky Mountain’s Noah Hinton controls the ball in last week’s 2-0 victory over Polk. 



A week after losing 5-1 at Polk, Smoky Mountain’s soccer team gained a measure of revenge by defeating the Wolverines 2-0 Sept. 18 at Carr Hooper Stadium/Babe Howell Field.

“This was a resume-building game for us,” Coach Stephen Brown said. “Brackets are made not at the end of the year but throughout the year.”

Brown said it was probably the biggest “marquee win” in his six seasons as head coach.

“We were on a revenge tour,” Brown said. “Our guys were emotionally jacked-up and took the right approach. They played with class and effort for 80 minutes. We beat a very good team that is probably going to make some noise in the 1-A playoffs this year.”

Shawn Byfield opened the scoring with 3:05 left in the first half with an assist from Dawson Karup.

“Shawn played fantastic,” Brown said. “He scored off a through ball from Dawson. Shawn got in behind the defense and fought for it and put it in from about 6 yards out.”

Karup scored an insurance goal from 4 yards out with 1:20 to go in the game off an assist from Billy Ramirez.

“Dawson did a great job collecting it and punching it in,” the coach said. “It was good solid soccer. Dawson continues to be a highly valuable player for us. He’s brought so much to our team.”

The Mustangs had an 11-7 edge in shots. SM’s Will Sink made five saves, and Polk’s Greyson Ball had four.

“We only allowed two shots in the first half,” Brown said. “We played lock down defense against a fast team.”

He added, “We had three good looks in the second half. Thank goodness one of them found the net to put the dagger in.”

The Mustang JVs improved to 7-1 with a 1-0 win. Skyler Sutton scored in the 44th minute with an assist from Mauricio Hernandez.

SM had a 12-4 advantage in shots. Carson Seagraves made four saves for the Mustangs.

“This was a great match,” Coach Jonathan Parsons said. “We knew they were going to be prepared to battle against us after our win against them last week. We had a few chances early in the match, but after that both teams settled into the game. With it being 0-0 at half, we made some adjustments and came out and got a goal early in the second half. After that, we settled defensively and held them to no shots in the second half.”