By Dave Russell
The Jackson County Board of Education will hold the first meeting using its new protocol on Tuesday.
The Board of Education voted on June 22 to hold its regular 2021-22 monthly meetings on the fourth Tuesday night of each month (with exceptions in November and December), all at 5:30 p.m.
The closed session portion would begin at 5:30 p.m., with open session anticipated to begin at 6:30 p.m., School Superintendent Dana Ayers told the board.
In-person access will be allowed, with YouTube coverage and remote access if required.
“We are hoping this will end the wait at the end of the meeting for the board to come out of closed session and have additional votes,” said Cora Fields, assistant to the superintendent and the board. “We are really looking forward to this new format and hope it will be more convenient for everyone interested in the board meetings.”
Public comments can be emailed to Fields (email@example.com) presented in person or via telephone by July 26. For phone-in access, contact Fields by 4 p.m. on July 26.
The meetings are set at these locations:
• July 27 – Central Office.
• Aug. 24 – Central Office.
• Sept. 28 – Jackson Community School.
• Oct. 26 – Cullowhee Valley Elementary School.
• Nov. 16 – Fairview Elementary School.
• Dec. 14 – Blue Ridge School and Early College.
• Jan. 25 – Smokey Mountain Elementary School.
• Feb. 22 – Smoky Mountain High School.
• March 22 – Scotts Creek Elementary School.
• April 26 – Jackson County Early College.
• May 24 – Central Office.
• June 28 – Central Office.
Those who are disabled and in need of reasonable accommodation in order to attend any school event should notify the school office or central office 10 days in advance with specific information concerning needs.