Jan. 1 is the perfect time to make New Year’s resolutions. Many resolve to save money, try a new hobby or make healthy choices. The Jackson County Department of Public Health wants all Jackson County residents to find ways to boost their health and well being in 2020, working to make this year their healthiest year yet.
Check out these tips on how to start off the new year on the right foot:
• Protect yourself from injury or disease by wearing a helmet, sunscreen or insect repellent when necessary.
• Make an appointment for an annual check-up, vaccination or screening. Call the Health Department at 587-8289 to make an appointment.
• Wash your hands often, using soap and water to prevent the spread of illness and infection.
• Make healthy food choices that emphasize fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy. If you need support, make an appointment with a dietitian at the Health Department by calling 587-8243.
• Be active – try simple steps first, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
• Be smoke free or quit smoking. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW for telephone support or learn about additional cessation resources by calling 587-8238.
• Get enough sleep. Insufficient sleep is associated with a number of chronic conditions, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and more. Aim for six to eight hours of sleep a night.