By Dave Russell
A fire destroyed a home in the Pumpkintown community Tuesday night.
The call came into 911 at 9:37 p.m. about a fire at 13 Shallow Creek Road off Pumpkintown Road, Jackson County Fire Marshal Michael Forbis said.
The homeowner, Leander James Silva, 21, was home alone and escaped the fire without injury, Forbis said.
“He did lose three or four pets,” Forbis said.
The double wide mobile home was a total loss, he said.
“The Savannah Fire Department got on the scene really quick,” Forbis said.
Units from the Sylva, Qualla, Cullowhee and Mountain Valley (Macon County) fire departments responded as mutual aid.
“He was working with a butane torch and it caught something in the living room on fire,” Forbis said. “It started in the living room in the center of the trailer and spread from there. It was ruled accidental.”
Silva did not have insurance, Forbis said.
The home was valued at $43,510, according to Jackson County tax records. It sat on 1.15 acres.