A cool 206,870 gallons of water will help Sylva beat the heat when Roscoe Poteet Swimming Pool opens for the season Saturday.
Here’s a quick checklist regarding pool particulars:
• Open swim rates are $3 per person; lap swim rates are $1.
• Season passes are available for $80 per individual, and $150 for families (applies only to immediate family members).
• Hours are Monday-Friday noon to 5 p.m.; Saturday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday from 1 to 6 p.m.
• The rate for pool parties is $80 for two hours, 7-9 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, plus $10 per lifeguard (there’s a two-guard minimum) per hour.
• Mondays and Wednesdays are family night from 7-9 p.m., at a rate of $5 per family.
• Swim lessons are available for children ages 3 and up at a cost of $25 for two weeks.
For more information, call 586-3565.
Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. The pool offers a kiddie play area with dumping buckets, a mushroom fountain and spray attractions. There are restrooms, hot showers and concessions, with a limited number of chairs and loungers available on a first come, first served basis.
Swimming lessons are available for children ages 3 and up. To reserve a spot for swim lessons, visit www.rec.jacksonnc.org and follow the link to online registration.
Jackson County residents have been swimming in the Poteet Park location since the 1930s, when a stone masonry pool was built. A major renovation in 1969 added the current pool, the bathhouse, the kiddie pool and diving boards. The pool was modernized in 2000 to meet new safety rules and install a six-lane swim competition area.
The pool, located on Municipal Drive, is owned by the Town of Sylva and operated by the Jackson County Parks and Recreation Department.