70 years ago - Jan. 11, 1951
• An eradication campaign was announced to deal with the county’s rat population.
• Disney’s “Cinderella” was playing at the Ritz Theatre.
• The Sylva High girls basketball squad battled Nantahala to a 32-32 tie.
60 years ago - Jan. 12, 1961
• “The Magnificent Seven” was airing at the Ritz Theatre.
• Jackson County Sheriff Frank Allen was recovering after being rushed to Winston-Salem for treatment of a gall bladder condition.
• Cornish hens were on sale at A&P for 59 cents each.
50 years ago - Jan. 14, 1971
• Genella Allison, who formerly taught at Webster School, was chosen as one of the five top teachers in the nation and candidate for National Teacher of the Year.
• Work on reconstruction of Sylva’s sidewalks began.
• Schools closed for the fourth time in the term due to ice and snow.
40 years ago - Jan. 8, 1981
• Three young men with placards protested the U.S. Selective Service’s call for registration of young men born in 1962 by picketing in front of the Sylva Post Office.
• Sylva dentist Dr. Harold McGuire retired after 41 ½ years of practice in Sylva. At the time the McGuire family boasted a history of 11 dentists with 419 years of accumulated service.
• The Sylva-Webster men’s basketball squad won the Sylva-Webster Holiday Basketball Tournament with an 84-56 rout of Cherokee.
30 years ago - Jan. 10, 1991
• Groundbreaking for a cafeteria and expanded media center was held at Blue Ridge School.
• Sol Schulman celebrated his 58th year in business in Sylva.
• Smoky Mountain’s Lady Mustangs moved to 12-0 with a 100-49 rout of Swain.
20 years ago - Jan. 11, 2001
• Western Carolina’s men’s basketball squad started conference play 0-3, including an overtime loss to The Citadel and a two-point loss to VMI.
• Jackson County and county towns petitioned new Gov. Mike Easley to appoint Marion Jones of Sylva to the state Board of Transportation.
• The possibility of locating a new post office at Jackson Plaza looked “very favorable,” according to Sylva Mayor Brenda Oliver.
10 years ago - Jan. 13, 2011
• The season’s third major snowstorm hit Jackson County hard, dropping some 10 inches of snow on the Sylva-Dillsboro area.
• Tanner Cogdill scored 25 points and Jackson Simmons had 20 to lead Smoky Mountain to a 76-33 rout at East Henderson in an Appalachian Athletic Conference men’s basketball game.
• Trey Sumler scored 23 points helping Western Carolina snap a six-game losing streak with an 81-58 Southern Conference men’s basketball victory at Georgia Southern.