This week in local history:

70 years ago - June 9, 1949

• Jackson County citizens voted nearly 10-to-1 to back measures to improve roads and schools.

• Dr. Clyde A. Milner, president of Guilford College, told 116 graduates of Western Carolina Teachers College that “the hope of the world lies with the integrity of the individual.’’

• “Opportunity Days,’’ a bargain festival organized by the Merchants Association, were set for June 16, 17 and 18.

60 years ago - June 11, 1959

• The Sylva town board OK’d a bid of $14,458 for a new fire station.

• The pilot of a Cesena 170 conducted a controlled crash landing in a Lovesfield pasture after converging clouds and low fuel left him with no other alternative.

• Lionel Brooks of F&P hit two grand slams in Jackson-Haywood softball play, leading his team to a 25-7 win over WMSJ.

50 years ago - June 12, 1969

• Workmen began removing the large trees lining the steps of the courthouse as part of a beautification project.

• “Hook, Line & Sinker,’’ starring Jerry Lewis, was playing at the Ritz Theatre.

• Sirloin steaks were on sale at Harold’s for $1.19 per pound.

40 years ago - June 14, 1979

• The Sylva Merchants Association discussed the possibility of holding a “Christmas in July’’ festival.

• St. John’s Episcopal Church marked its 100th anniversary.

• Southwestern Technical Institute received approval to offer a new curriculum, Medical Laboratory Technology, from the State Board of Education.

30 years ago - June 8, 1989

• Western Carolina University students turned out to support Chinese students who were fired on in pro-democracy protests in Beijing.

• Hurdler Tony McKennie finished fourth in NCAA competition and became WCU’s first-ever track All-American.

• “Unto These Hills’’ was set to kick off its 40th season on June 14.

20 years ago - June 10, 1999

• The Sylva Herald’s advertising staff won 10 N.C. Press Association awards, with ad manager Margo Gray bringing home a first and two second-place honors.

• Western Carolina University Men’s Track coach Danny Williamson was named the Southeast Region NCAA Division I Men’s Track and Field Coach of the Year.

10 years ago - June 11, 2009

• Members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians June 4 visited polls in droves to vote on alcohol sales at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino and Hotel, ultimately approving the contentious measure. Around half of the registered voters in Cherokee voted on the measure, according to the Cherokee Board of Elections. Around 59 percent of voters, totaling 1,847, were in favor of alcohol sales. The remaining 41 percent, 1,301 voters, cast ballots against it.

• The protracted legal wrangling between Jackson County and Duke Energy over the fate of the Dillsboro Dam took a surprising turn when commissioners first rejected a confidential offer from Duke and then voted to take the dam and powerhouse by its power of eminent domain in order to create a river access park.