A ribbon cutting was held Monday (Jan. 7) for the new Cashiers-Glenville Recreation center. The 25,000-square-foot facility has an indoor walking/running track, full-size gymnasium, fitness center, aerobics area and meeting room. Construction cost, excluding previous site work, was $3,813,671, some $1.2 million under what leaders had budgeted for the project. The facility adheres to the Cashiers zoning and building requirement and features rock work and vegetation in line with other area buildings. Cashiers-based architect Dan Duckham designed the facility in 2005; county leaders in May 2011 appropriated funds to move forward with the project. – Herald photos by Nick Breedlove
- March 25 Coronavirus Coverage
- April 1 COVID-19 Coverage
- School personnel moves are announced
- Sheriff's Office arrests
- March 25 Q&A from Jackson County officials
- Sylva man killed in moped wreck
- Family of jail suicide victim files lawsuit
- Brawl in parking lot leads to charges
- SPD rolls out new police car design
- Editorial: Stepping up to face the challenges of a new reality
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Signup today!
Breaking Sports News
Would you like to receive breaking sports news alerts? Signup today!
Would you like to receive weekly headlines? Signup today!
- To view our latest e-Edition click the image on the left.